Rising Mortgage Rate Trend Continues

Dated: 11/27/2016

Views: 548

The trend in mortgage rates seen since the U.S. election continued over the past week. Wednesday's report on durable goods orders also applied upward pressure. Mortgage rates increased to the highest levels of the year.Orders for durable goods, which are products designed to last longer than three years, rose in October at the fastest pace in a year. Overall, orders jumped 4.8% from September. Excluding aircraft orders, which are very volatile from month to month, orders rose 1%. Both readings exceeded the consensus forecast by a wide margin. Since stronger economic growth raises the outlook for future inflation, this data was negative for mortgage rates.The recent rise in mortgage rates likely will have some effect on the housing market, but fortunately, activity prior to the higher rates was at an encouraging pace. The most recent data shows that closings of existing homes in October were at the highest level since 2007. This is significant since existing home sales account for 90% of total home sales. The data on the remaining 10% - newly built homes - showed that the pace of contracts signed in October remained near the best level of the year.The lack of inventory of homes has constrained sales all year. Low levels of inventory remain, but some relief may be on the way. Single-family housing starts in October were up 11% over September, and this measure also was at the highest level since 2007. Building permits, which are an early indication of the level of new homes to come on the market, also rose in October.

Blog author image

David Sarnowski

David is a seasoned real estate professional, specializing in residential sales, rentals and investment properties. David is a 15 year resident of the New Jersey Gold Coast, with the local knowledge n....

Want to Advertise on this Site?

Latest Blog Posts

Why Should One Consider Refinancing Their Mortgage Now

Why Should One Consider Refinancing Their Mortgage Now? Refinancing a mortgage is a golden opportunity to lock in today’s low interest rate for the next 15 or 30 years. While interest rates now

Read More

What You Need To Know About Mortgage Insurance

What You Need to Know About Mortgage Insurance Homeowners insurance and title insurance may not be the only kinds of insurance you need when you buy a home. Many buyers also have to purchase

Read More

Whats Ahead For Mortgage Rates This Week February 12th 2018

What’s Ahead For Mortgage Rates This Week – February 12th, 2018 Jerome “Jay” Powell was sworn in as Chair of the Federal Reserve amidst wild fluctuations in U.S. stock markets. Analysts

Read More

Down Payments 101 Is It Worth It To Put More Than 20 Percent Down

Down Payments 101: Is It Worth It to Put More Than 20 Percent Down? Are you thinking of buying a new home this spring or summer? If so, you’re not alone. Many thousands of individuals and

Read More